Rules for Conservative Radicals
I found this wonderful list by Michael Leahy, co-founder of the TCOT (Top Conservatives on Twitter) and Publisher and Managing Editor of The TCOT Report. Knowing as we all just love Alinsky’s Rules so much as the playbook of the liberal left, his list for the rightie rights is apropos. Take a look and commit it to memory (then swallow the page).
The Conservative Radical’s Tactical Rules
1. It is better to be 85% right and quick than 100% right and slow.
2. Do what you can right now with the technologies, resources, and time immediately available to you.
3. Use free and cheap technologies at every opportunity
4. Observe Ronald Reagan’s 11th Commandment – do not engage in personal attacks of fellow conservatives in public forums. Anything you say will be ammunition for the left. Personal disputes among fellow conservatives are best handled privately.
5. When communicating through any public forum on the internet–Twitter, blogs, websites – remember that anything digital lives forever, so refrain from the use of profanity, personal attacks, or statements that are factually unsupportable.
6. Publicly engage with the left only when there is a clearly identified goal that has a reasonable likelihood of being accomplished through the engagement.
7. Privately engage with the left when you are confident you are dealing with a person of honor and good will whose personal integrity has not been compromised by Saul Alinsky’s moral nihilism.
8. When engaging with the left let no falsehood go unchallenged.
9. When dealing with the left, look for opportunities to persuade open-minded opponents of the merits of conservatism.
10. When evangelizing to open minded members of the left, be a friendly teacher guiding your students towards conservatism, not an argumentative and arrogant haranguer bent on demonstrating your intellectual superiority.
11. Seek out opportunities to collaborate with like-minded conservatives through self organizing projects.
12. You earn a seat at the table of a self organizing project by showing up, doing the work, and collaborating effectively with your project colleagues.
13. Successful self-organizing projects are characterized by:
(a) rapid response consensus development of goals and tactics
(b) transparent real time communication between project colleagues
(c) rapid implementation of tactics by a core group of the most engaged project colleagues
(d) whose personal conduct is guided by the principles of project servant-leadership.
14. Once you have earned a seat at the table, you have a right to participate in the development of a consensus. But if you don’t show up to participate, you lose the right to complain about decisions made by the group in your absence. The process drives forward relentlessly on a 24-7 time clock
15. When conflict arises within your self organized project, and the conflict is not resolvable, leave the project, start your own new project with those who are of like mind, and wish your former project colleagues Godspeed.
Copyright 2009 by Michael Patrick Leahy
To be included in my new book Rules for Conservative Radicals, to be published by C-Rad Press on July 31, 2009
9 Tactical Rules from Saul Alinsky that are as relevant for today’s
Conservative Radicals as they are for today’s Left Wing Radicals
1. Never go outside the experience of your project colleagues
2. Wherever possible, go outside the experience of the opposition
3. Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.
4. A good tactic is one that your project colleagues enjoy.
5. A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag
6. Keep the pressure on
7. The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
8. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
9. Make the opposition live up to their own book of rules. [Corresponds to SA's Rule #4.]
Note: I have changed the word “people” in rules 1 and 4 to the words “project colleagues”, and the word “enemy” in rules 2 and 9 to “opposition”.
Source: Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky, 1971
posted by Michael Patrick Leahy at 1:04 PM
- Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.
- Never go outside the experience of your people.
- Whenever possible go outside the experience of the enemy.
- Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules.
- Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.
- A good tactic is one that your people enjoy.
- A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.
- Keep the pressure on with different tactics, and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.
- The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.
- The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
- If you push a negative hard and deep enough it will break through into its counterside.
- The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.
- Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
Alinsky, Saul Rules for Radicals. Toronto: Vintage Publishing 1971
4 Comments »
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
Xn, Patriot, YEC
Buy me a Coffee? (tip jar)
Please consider supporting this blog with a donation of dollars or java.
Go to https://www.PayPal.com and use "getdclu @ gmail . com" to send money.
All contributions gratefully accepted!! Thank you!
- Taking charge to prevent extinction May 19, 2013CNS News reports: "Our survival as a species is dependent on women taking charge,” Rep. Jan Schakowsky (D-Ill.) told a gathering at a campaign fundraiser earlier this month. She made the comment before introducing Cecile Richards, president of the Planned Parenthood Action Fund, who was among those attending the Schakowsky fundraiser dubbed ”The Ultimat […]Roger
- Interview: Kevin Williamson — Could Going Broke Leave America Better Off? May 18, 2013You know the bad news — our government is bloated, inefficient, and going broke. But could the wheels coming off of government actually be good for America? Tune in to find out why our guest says yes. Listen to Eagle Forum Live Radio Program aired on 5-18-13 Listen every Saturday (11-Noon CST): Bott Radio Network Archived Eagle Forum Live Radio Programs […]EagleHQ
- Charged with murder for inducing abortion May 17, 2013The NY Post reports: TAMPA, Fla. — The 28-year-old son of a Florida fertility doctor has been charged by federal authorities with tricking his girlfriend into taking a pill used to induce labor and cause an abortion, killing the fetus she was carrying. John Andrew Welden was indicted Tuesday by a federal grand jury on charges of product tampering and first-d […]Roger
- Common Core's Political Agenda May 17, 2013The standards now being forced on all public schools called Common Core are standardizing student learning and performance nationwide. The plan is to gauge achievement using national tests. The standards were created at the behest of the federal government. The standards use the word "state" prominently, but it definitely is a national program, and […]Phyllis Schlafly
- Bombing was part of Moslem Jihad May 16, 2013Here is the latest leak about administration misconduct: Just before he was captured last month, Boston Marathon bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev scrawled a note inside the boat where he was hiding that seemed to take responsibility for his role in the tragedy, according to two law enforcement officials with knowledge of the note. After police forced him ou […]Roger
- Taking charge to prevent extinction May 19, 2013
- Top Glenn of 2010! December 30, 2010A recap from the daily email newsletter special, Top Glenn of 2010!
- Rob Smith Jr Editorial Cartoon December 28, 2010Nationally syndicated cartoonist Rob Smith Jr. chimes with his latest Glenn Beck exclusive.
- 2010 Holiday Gift Guide December 20, 2010The perfect guide for Glenn Beck Superfans, Student/Husband/Brother/Big Government Lover, Mom/Wife/Grandmother/Person Who Like to Cry, and crazy Progressive Friends
- Merry Christmas from the Glenn Beck Program! December 19, 2010Merry Christmas from the Glenn Beck Program!
- Top Glenn of 2010! December 19, 2010Subscribe now to our email newsletter and don't miss this special series as we close out the year with the Top Glenn of 2010!
- These are a few of Glenns favorite things... December 19, 2010Glenn tried to name all of the favorite things on TV tonight, but he couldn’t fit it all into an hour of TV. Rather than shorten the list and go with his FAVORITE favorite things, he wanted to make sure he included everything. So here’s the list.
- Insider Christmas Audio Collection December 18, 2010We put together this collection of Christmas favorites, exclusively for Insiders...
- Larry King's career is over December 17, 2010That statement was probably valid at least 10 years ago - but it's official now. The softball interviewer hosted his final program last night, and to commemorate the occasion Katie Couric dropped by with an early Christmas present to radio talk show hosts everywhere. She read a poem - and it was so 'good' it rivaled the brilliance of Al Gore […]
- Top Glenn of 2010! December 30, 2010
- Illinois Senate approves bill to legalize medical marijuana May 19, 2013Illinois lawmakers agreed to legalize the use of medical marijuana on Friday under a plan that's being billed as the strictest in the nation among states that have authorized the drug's medicinal use, though it was unclear whether the Democratic governor plans to sign it.
- Oosthuizen withdraws from Nelson before 4th round May 19, 2013Louis Oosthuizen withdrew from the Byron Nelson Championship before the final round Sunday because of a neck issue.
- Pipe dream: Skip college, become a plumber, NYC Mayor Bloomberg says May 19, 2013The heck with Harvard, says New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Most high school grads should learn a trade . . . like plumbing.
- Video shows kidnapped Egyptian security officers May 19, 2013Seven members of Egypt's security forces kidnapped by suspected militants have appeared in a video posted on the Internet, urging the government to secure their release by meeting their captors' demands.
- CUP: All-Star Power Rankings May 19, 2013Jimmie Johnson moves back to the top of the FOXSports.com/SPEED.com Power Rankings this week…
- Pope: church should open up but follow teaching May 19, 2013Pope Francis is calling for renewal in the Catholic church as he wrapped up two days of mass gatherings in St. Peter's Square aimed at energizing the faithful.
- Zimbabwe PM: We will end police, military abuse May 19, 2013Zimbabwe's prime minister says his party will end years of bias and abuse by the police, military and intelligence services and will make sure the services uphold the country's new constitution which demands impartiality in their duties.
- Cairo airport baggage handlers end strike May 19, 2013Cairo airport officials say baggage handlers have resumed work after a strike that left passengers on 20 international flights from Europe and Arab countries waiting several hours for luggage.
- Illinois Senate approves bill to legalize medical marijuana May 19, 2013
Romans 12:2Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is–his good, pleasing and perfect will.
John 14:27Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
2 Chronicles 7:1414 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
Elementary, dear Watson
Suggestions & Chat BoxPlease click here to write suggestions that I will check later. Thanks.
- MUST SEE VIDEO FLASHBACK: "From My Cold, Dead Hands" SHARE!!! bit.ly/X47pJu @liberty Let's make it VIRAL! ~ 4 months ago
- Blessings from our family to yours on this #Thanksgiving - thx & praise to Almighty God for His protection & provision. #GodinControl ~ 5 months ago
- "@cringetalk: Only the truly stupid believe there is no cover up going on with Benghazi." And they vote Dem by default. ~ 6 months ago
- Have Faith! In the People & the priorities of this country. Continue to pray. #Pat&Stu #patriots #tcot #Romney ~ 6 months ago
- Congressman Gets Standing Ovation for Telling IRS It Strikes Fear Into Americans May 17, 2013By: Penny Starr and Taylor Knopf Lawmaker Gets Standing 'O' For Decrying IRS Abuse of American Citizens read moremchapman
- IG On IRS Scandal: ‘Clear Evidence’ of Wrongdoing May 17, 2013By: Penny Starr Acting IRS Commissioner: 'Foolish Mistakes Were Made' read moremelanie
- Government to Spend $146,944 Texting Low-Income People with Depression May 17, 2013By: Melanie Hunter Cell phone (AP File Photo) read moremelanie
- IRS Commissioner on Scandal: ‘We Provided Horrible Customer Service’ May 17, 2013By: Penny Starr IRS Commissioner on Scandal: ‘We Provided Horrible Customer Service’ read moremelanie
- Prison Poetry Website Locks Down $75,000 NEA Grant May 17, 2013By: Eric Scheiner Prison Poetry Readings read firstname.lastname@example.org
- $590M-plus Powerball: 1 winning ticket sold in Fla May 19, 2013 superadm
- First Lady Expands Anti-Obesity Campaign to Museums May 17, 2013By: Elizabeth Harringtonmelanie
- HHS:'Telework' Gives Gov't Employees More Time for 'Planning and Preparing Healthy Meals' May 17, 2013By: Terence P. Jeffrey read moreterry
- Congressman Gets Standing Ovation for Telling IRS It Strikes Fear Into Americans May 17, 2013
- CLick here for PTBC news!Click this link to get to the new format of PTBC. Thanks!PTBC - (Author: Joel Johannesen)
- PTBC Changes — News for February 25 2011UPDATE: Actually, this information has changed. BoldColors.net and ProudToBeCanadian.ca are the two web sites you can now find Joel Johannesen writing, as well as the usual columns from the columnists featured at PTBC. Hello canucks! I haven’t been cross-posting my blog entries to here at ProudToBeCanadian for a while anyway so this isn’t very newsy, but I […]PTBC - (Author: Joel Johannesen)
- PTBC news coming upClearly things have changed course here. There will be news soon.PTBC - (Author: Joel Johannesen)
- Blog posts, columnists at BOLDCOLORS.NET and .CA, in plain black and whiteBlogging over there at BoldColors. Contrary to popular notion, I do NOT type all in bold letters over there. Nor in rainbow colors.PTBC - (Author: Joel Johannesen)
- Ann Coulter column now at BOLDCOLORS.NETDemocrats: Emboldening America’s Enemies & Terrifying Her Allies Since 1976PTBC - (Author: Joel Johannesen)
- CLick here for PTBC news!
Samuel Adams“If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.”
"But a Constitution of Government once changed from Freedom, can never be restored. Liberty, once lost, is lost forever." (1775 letter to Abigail)
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." (1765)
"One useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress."
Walter E. Williams on Government
"At the heart of the American idea is the deep distrust and suspicion the founders of our nation had for government, distrust and suspicion not shared as much by today's Americans. Some of the founders' distrust is seen in our Constitution's language such as Congress shall not: abridge, infringe, deny, disparage, violate and deny. If the founders did not believe Congress would abuse our God-given rights, they would not have provided those protections. After all, one would not expect to find a Bill of Rights in Heaven; it would be an affront to God.
"Other founder distrust for government is found in the Constitution's separation of powers, checks and balances and the several anti-majoritarian provisions such as the Electoral College and the requirement that three-quarters of state legislatures ratify changes in the Constitution. The three branches of our federal government are no longer bound by the Constitution as the framers envisioned and what is worse is American ignorance and acceptance of such rogue behavior.
"Look at the current debate over government involvement in health, business bailouts and stimulus packages. The debate centers around questions as whether such involvement is a good idea or a bad idea and whether one program is more costly than another. Those questions are entirely irrelevant to what should be debated, namely: Is such government involvement in our lives permissible under the U.S. Constitution? That question is not part of the debate.
"The American people, along with our elected representatives, whether they're Republicans or Democrats, care less about what is and what is not permissible under our Constitution. They think Congress has the right to do anything upon which they can secure a majority vote, whether they have the constitutional or moral authority to do so or not."
--George Mason economics professor