Fox News Channel’s Senior White House Correspondent Major Garrett will interview President Barack Obama in Beijing Tuesday night, Eastern time (Wednesday morning in Beijing).
The President is nearing the end of his eight-day swing through Asia with a host of issues on his plate, from non-proliferation, to climate change, to global economic imbalances. Watch this space for updates and clips beginning early Wednesday morning, Eastern.
Nov. 14, 2009: The President bows as he is greeted by Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko as he arrives at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo (AP).
For those who don’t subscribe to Major Garrett’s tweets – the Fox News Senior White House Correspondent was able to message his loyal tweeps the latest news from the statements made by Chinese President Hu and President Obama in real time, while he sat in the audience in the Great Hall of the People in Beijing. Why is that so special? As my colleague Kelly Chernenkoff noted in her blog yesterday, access to social networking sites like Twitter and Facebook have been blocked in China. That access does not appear to restrict messages to those sites from people’s mobile devices.
President Obama told students at a Shanghai Town yesterday that although he’s never used twitter, he’s a big believer in technology and the free flow of information that it enables, “I think that the more freely information flows, the stronger the society becomes, because then citizens of countries around the world can hold their own governments accountable.”
Take a look at Major’s tweets from earlier:
Still, Obama say he supports China’s sovereignty and territorial integrity. for chines hard-liners this is code for no movement on Tibet. about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama mentions Tibet – says supports early dialogue w/Dali Lama…important b/c so far Obama had shied from Tibet issue in public about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama say he told Hu abt “fundamental, universal human rights” and will move “discussion forwward in dialogue” next year. about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama: if Iran doesn’t come clean on nuke program “there will be consequences.” about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama” both sides will “take signicant mitigation efforts and stand behind these commitments” — greenhouse gas pollution about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama notes China’s “move to a more market-oriented currency over time.” no specifics. about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama says China’s growing economy brings “growing responsibilities.” about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Obama up now: relats w/China “never been more important to our collective future.” about 5 hours ago from mobile web
Hu says China wants 2 “appropriately resolve” Iranian nuke issue. mentions negotiations, not sanctions. about 5 hours ago from mobile web
The king of cable news dropped in on the radio program today for a very special announcement – Glenn and Bill are doing a series of special appearances together. The two talk about the tour and also about the important issues of the day, like, what should the name of the tour be? Check out the interview and get the tour details. It’s time for the truth — straight up, whether you like it or not. Bill O’Reilly and Glenn Beck are teaming up and going on tour. Your town may never be the same. (Transcript)
Keeping up with Obama
He’s been a busy guy this weekend – first, he had to delay plans for climate change action, even though he previously stated ‘delay is not an option.’ Then he had to bow down to another foreign leader, this time it was in Japan. And, for good measure, this lover of the Earth traveled around in China with a 71 car motorcade. Oh, it’s good to be King! Uh, President.
Glenn Beck and guest Kevin Crowder show how it’s turn around time on liberals, using their own words against them.
Daily Categorized Email Digest Archive – Alliance Defense Fund (ADF)
Online at: http://www.alliancealert.org/daily-categorized-email-digest-archive
20091116 Conservatives split over filibuster of Obama court pick
20091113 New Jersey bill to redefine marriage lacks votes to leave Senate Judiciary Committee
20091112 Maine churches threatened with IRS complaints for supporting marriage
20091110 N.Y. Senate Delays Vote on Bill to Redefine Marriage
20091109 NY Senate could vote on law to redefine marriage
20091106 12 Reasons The Cross Is Not A Violation of Freedom
20091105 Speaker Pelosi’s Government-Run Health Plan Will Require a Monthly Abortion Premium
20091104 Protect Marriage Washington: R-71 vote is extremely close, prayers urged
20091103 Washington: Ballots trickle in; King county’s target: 56%
20091102 3rd Circuit hands down precedent-setting abortion clinic “buffer zone” decision
20091029 This Is Your Brain Without Dad
20091028 Ariz. Supreme Court lets victory for children’s tuition program stand
20091027 ADF sues Milwaukee to halt harassment of pro-life advocates
20091026 61% of Air Force DADT dischargees are women
20091023 NY Gov. expects bill to redefine marriage to pass in coming weeks
20091022 Congress Approves Broadened Hate-Crime Measure
20091021 En Banc 9th Circuit denies review of Ariz. school tax credit case, lengthy concurring and dissenting opinions
Many people believe conservatives will win a number of Senate races next year but few realize that we could also win the very Senate seat Barack Obama vacated to become president.
The race to fill the open seat in Illinois will likely be a contest between Democrat Alexi Giannoulias and the winner of the GOP primary between U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk and businessman Patrick Hughes. The Republican primary is February 2, 2010.
The Republican establishment in Washington has lined up solidly behind Kirk who for months has been seen as the best chance for a GOP victory. But a new poll shows Democrat Giannoulias with a 3-point advantage over Kirk. Political insiders still believe Kirk, who reported $2.3 million cash on hand at the end of September, still has the best chance of winning the seat for Republicans. But political insiders have been wrong before.
In 1998 for example, there was a competitive primary in Illinois. The GOP establishment rallied behind moderate Loleta Didrickson, the highest ranking Republican woman in the history of the state. She was defeated in the primary by Peter Fitzgerald, who everyone described as too conservative to win. Fitzgerald went on to defeat the incumbent, Senator Mosely-Braun.
Patrick Hughes is a newcomer to Illinois politics and has a steep hill to climb. According to a Nov. 7 story in the The Hill newspaper:
It’s not yet clear whether Hughes will have what it takes to upset Kirk, but the congressman’s recent tacking to the right on issues like cap and trade make it clear that he’s aware of his right flank. And this week’s revelation that Kirk has been lobbying for Sarah Palin’s endorsement is the clincher. Hughes, a developer, is fighting a battle (a la Rubio) to prove that he has a chance against a well-funded frontrunner, and getting over that hump will be key to his chances.
Should conservatives take a chance on Patrick Hughes or stick with the better-known Mark Kirk? You decide. Here are several links related to the race. Check them out and then vote in our Illinois Senate poll.
- Mark Kirk Website (kirkforsenate.com)
- Patrick Hughes Website (patrickhughesforsenate.com)
- WGIL: Hughes: “I’m the Real Republican in the U.S. Senate Race” (11/07/09)
- Time Magazine: 10 Races that have Republicans Worried for 2010 (11/05/09)
- MSNBC First Read: Kirk Courts Sarah Palin (11/05/09)
- The Hill: Poll Shows Democrat Would Defeat Kirk (11/02/09)
- The Hill: Ditka Disputes Candidate’s Endorsement Claim (10/22/09)
2010 Illinois Senate Race Poll
This online poll will close on Friday, Nov. 20, 2009.
by Gary DeMar, Nov 17, 2009
The doomsday film 2012 had a mega-weekend at the box office. It took in $225 million over a period of five days, a combination of $65 million domestically and $160 million internationally Wednesday through Sunday (Nov. 11–16, 2009). In anticipation of the hype and hysteria of the Mayan Calendar end-of-the-world scenario, Christians had their books ready for an answer. Mark Hitchcock, pastor of Faith Bible Church in Edmond, Oklahoma, is the author of 2012: The Bible and the End of the World. To his credit, Hitchcock offers a critical evaluation of the supposed Mayan prophecy. He even takes issue with the often used argument that the fig tree in Matthew 24:32 describes the reinstitution of the nation of Israel, a point he made in his The Complete Book of Bible Prophecy. In an interview for Christianity Today, Hitchcock said, “It’s the eschatology of the New Age. It’s basically a mystical, New Age belief system that I believe is spiritual deception. I want to take 2012 and bend the curve to God’s purposes, and use this as a springboard to tell people what the Bible says.”
Tim LaHaye, co-author of the multivolume, multimillion, multi-bestseller Left Behind series, offers a similar evaluation. He “believes the 2012 mania is distracting people from what the Bible predicts regarding the Rapture, Tribulation and Second Coming. ‘The date has been picked up by so many groups and cults that you have to conclude that someone or something inspired all these writers to come to essentially the same period—and that would be divination or spiritism,’ LaHaye says. ‘It’s probably satanic because there is nothing in the Bible about it. In fact, the Bible forbids us to even think about a day and an hour.’” But as we’ll see, it’s OK to think about what generation will see prophecy unfold.
Making predictions has been the stock and trade of prophecy writers like LaHaye. Of course, they don’t pick a specific date, but they use words like “pretty soon” and “within our lifetime.” If they didn’t make these concessions, their books would not sell. LaHaye’s co-author Jerry Jenkins even wrote a book with the title Soon: The Beginning of the End (2003). Not to be outdone, LaHaye has teamed with Craig Parshall to publish Edge of Apocalypse, an apocalyptic novel “with political intrigue ripped from today’s headlines, the first book in a new series called The End.” Don’t these guys know when to stop? Like those who are attracted to the prophecies of Nostradamus and the Mayan calendar, there is a steady stream of gullible Christians who know nothing about the failed predictions of some of their favorite Christian prophecy writers but are willing to shell out money for prophecy books that in the ned fail to deliver.New Testament scholar Ben Witherington writes, “The Mayans no more knew when the end would come than anyone else does. It’s time for theological weather forecasting to be given up entirely. Even TV weathermen predicting ordinary events are more accurate.” And this includes the “we know the generation” prophecy writers like LaHaye, Jenkins, Hitchcock, and Parshall.
Updates to the MSM: http://wp.me/pzfHB-jM
I found this wonderful list by Michael Leahy, co-founder of the TCOT (Top Conservatives on Twitter) and Publisher and Managing Editor of The TCOT Report. Knowing as we all just love Alinsky’s Rules so much as the playbook of the liberal left, his list for the rightie rights is apropos. Take a look and commit it to memory (then swallow the page).
The Conservative Radical’s Tactical Rules
1. It is better to be 85% right and quick than 100% right and slow.
2. Do what you can right now with the technologies, resources, and time immediately available to you.
3. Use free and cheap technologies at every opportunity
4. Observe Ronald Reagan’s 11th Commandment – do not engage in personal attacks of fellow conservatives in public forums. Anything you say will be ammunition for the left. Personal disputes among fellow conservatives are best handled privately.
5. When communicating through any public forum on the internet–Twitter, blogs, websites – remember that anything digital lives forever, so refrain from the use of profanity, personal attacks, or statements that are factually unsupportable.
6. Publicly engage with the left only when there is a clearly identified goal that has a reasonable likelihood of being accomplished through the engagement.
7. Privately engage with the left when you are confident you are dealing with a person of honor and good will whose personal integrity has not been compromised by Saul Alinsky’s moral nihilism.
8. When engaging with the left let no falsehood go unchallenged.
9. When dealing with the left, look for opportunities to persuade open-minded opponents of the merits of conservatism.
10. When evangelizing to open minded members of the left, be a friendly teacher guiding your students towards conservatism, not an argumentative and arrogant haranguer bent on demonstrating your intellectual superiority.
11. Seek out opportunities to collaborate with like-minded conservatives through self organizing projects.
12. You earn a seat at the table of a self organizing project by showing up, doing the work, and collaborating effectively with your project colleagues.
13. Successful self-organizing projects are characterized by:
(a) rapid response consensus development of goals and tactics
(b) transparent real time communication between project colleagues
(c) rapid implementation of tactics by a core group of the most engaged project colleagues
(d) whose personal conduct is guided by the principles of project servant-leadership.
14. Once you have earned a seat at the table, you have a right to participate in the development of a consensus. But if you don’t show up to participate, you lose the right to complain about decisions made by the group in your absence. The process drives forward relentlessly on a 24-7 time clock
15. When conflict arises within your self organized project, and the conflict is not resolvable, leave the project, start your own new project with those who are of like mind, and wish your former project colleagues Godspeed.
Copyright 2009 by Michael Patrick Leahy
To be included in my new book Rules for Conservative Radicals, to be published by C-Rad Press on July 31, 2009
9 Tactical Rules from Saul Alinsky that are as relevant for today’s
Conservative Radicals as they are for today’s Left Wing Radicals
1. Never go outside the experience of your project colleagues
2. Wherever possible, go outside the experience of the opposition
3. Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.
4. A good tactic is one that your project colleagues enjoy.
5. A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag
6. Keep the pressure on
7. The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
8. Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
9. Make the opposition live up to their own book of rules. [Corresponds to SA’s Rule #4.]
Note: I have changed the word “people” in rules 1 and 4 to the words “project colleagues”, and the word “enemy” in rules 2 and 9 to “opposition”.
Source: Rules for Radicals by Saul Alinsky, 1971
posted by Michael Patrick Leahy at 1:04 PM
- Power is not only what you have but what the enemy thinks you have.
- Never go outside the experience of your people.
- Whenever possible go outside the experience of the enemy.
- Make the enemy live up to their own book of rules.
- Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon.
- A good tactic is one that your people enjoy.
- A tactic that drags on too long becomes a drag.
- Keep the pressure on with different tactics, and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.
- The threat is usually more terrifying than the thing itself.
- The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition.
- If you push a negative hard and deep enough it will break through into its counterside.
- The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative.
- Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.
Alinsky, Saul Rules for Radicals. Toronto: Vintage Publishing 1971
Thanks to a quick glance at Twitter, I saw this article posted (hat tip to IlluminateUrSelf) about the communist Van Jones. How does Obama do it? He can associate with thugs, Marxists, communists, the likes of Hugo-Chavez-loving wackos, Pentagon-bombing-Chicago PhDs and America-hating preachers, but somehow no one vetted him or his friends? Why is this man or these top-level nation-managers allowed to hold the reins of the greatest nation on earth? Who are the puppeteers holding their strings?
White House czar urged ‘resistance’ against U.S.
Main speaker at rally sponsored by organization associated with Revolutionary Communist Party
Posted: August 31, 2009
8:20 pm Eastern
By Aaron Klein
© 2009 WorldNetDaily
My thanks to Andy for inquiring about an RSS feed of the blog. Gee, that’d be helpful, huh?! You can now subscribe to this blog by clicking on the yellow RSS button located under the Search box at the right.
Kudos in return, he has a great Creation aggregator site called Literal 6 that you really should check out. Thanks again, Andy!
You can also follow me on Twitter (is it just for twits?) to see if I write anything there in updates… Oh, the joys of technology. (-;